Cycling competitions include the following events:
Road Events: Road Races, Criterium Races and Individual Time Trial.
Track Events: Individual Pursuit, 1km Individual Time Trial and Flying 200m/Match Sprints (unofficially)
Cycling events are open to all athletes with physical and visual disabilities. However, not all events are offered to all athletes. For example, Tandem and “C Class” (CP/Amputee and Traumatic Brain Injury) athletes compete in both track and road events while Tricycle and Handcycle athletes only compete at the Road events.
Competitors are classified based on their level of physical ability. There are multiple sub-categories within each classification ability. Athletes can be informally classified by a para-cycling coach. However, a formal classification by an approved UCI classification panel will be required for national and international level competitions. These panels are often available at national championships and identified international events. The following is a summary of para-cycling classifications.
- B1-B3: Blind and visually impaired athletes who use a Tandem
- C1-C5: Cycle, including some amputee and Cerebral Palsy and/or Traumatic Brain-Injured athletes, who use a regular bike
- T1-T2: Tricycle, including some Cerebral Palsy and/or Traumatic Brain-Injured athletes
- H1-H4: Handcycle, including some neurologically-impaired, spinal-cored Injured, and Amputee athletes who use a handcycle rather than a regular bicycle
The OCA is committed to supporting para-cycling and is interested to hear from any potential athletes, coaches, or volunteers. This includes able-bodied cyclists interested in competing as pilots for visually impaired cyclists.
The OCA offers both introductory and competitive programs for para-cyclists.
- Tandem cycling program at the Mattamy National Cycling Centre (Milton Velodrome). This initiative is being delivered in partnership with the W. Ross MacDonald School for the Blind [bicycles and pilots are provided].
- Handcyclists looking for a riding groups [recreational or competitive] can contact the Handcycling Club of Canada to find out about opportunities in their area www.handcycling.ca
- Camps/workshops are also offered by the OCA for new and developing athletes. Please contact Chantal Thompson at [email protected] for more information or visit the Team Ontario section of the website CLICK HERE to view upcoming events.
Competitive/ more experienced athletes
- Typically any para classification can integrate into an O-Cup or Provincial Time Trial event.
- Team Ontario hosts a number of training camps, including warm-weather camps in the winter, and prepares athletes for competition at national championships and other international events. Please visit the Team Ontario section of the website CLICK HERE to view upcoming events.
- Other opportunities for road racing will be identified and announced by the OCA.
- Defi Sportif is one of our highlight races for Para Athletes. Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Defi Sportif 2020 has been cancelled.
- New for 2019/2020 Team Ontario is introducing a new tiered HP Athlete Program offering different levels of support to athletes based on past performances, training commitments and future aspirations within the sport of cycling. For more information and how to apply, CLICK HERE.
- Associate High Performance Athlete: National Team athletes who will receive assistance and supplemental race and training support.
- Training Program Athlete: Athletes tracking towards Cycling Canada programs with goals of achieving international success. These athletes will be at or near Cycling Canada’s Developmental time standards.
- Rising Stars Skills Camp Athlete: New or experienced athletes who are wanting to build upon skills, endurance and race preparation. These athletes are learning to train with goals in mind such as achieving National Developmental standards and will be allowed to participate in several of the local skills camps to help them continue to improve and build skills.
For any inquiries, please contact Chantal Thompson , HP Coordinator and Special Projects Coach