- This event has passed.
Track – Youth Track Development Series Finale
Ontario Cycling (OC) is proud to present the 2022-2023 Youth Track Development Series (YTDS) held at the Mattamy National Cycling Center located at 2015 Pan Am Boulevard in Milton, Ontario. The YTDS, sanctioned and governed by Ontario Cycling, consists of 4 separate racing opportunities, with different events at each one. The series is designed to optimize the development of our young athletes, through providing fun, non-traditional races. This allows the riders to focus on skills, speed, tactics, and personal bests, rather than competition and endurance.
- Registration for all YTDS is open to riders 18 years of age and younger, with a minimum age of 9.
- The event is pre-registration only. Late entries will be reviewed on a case by case basis. If granted, will have an additional fee of $50.00.
- Only Provincial Race Licenses and UCI Race Licenses are permitted. Out-of-Province riders must have a UCI License. Licenses will not be sold on event day and must be purchased in advance.
- There will be 2 types of registration:
– Series Registration – includes YTDS #1, #2, #3, Finale
– Individual Registration – one of YTDS #1, #2, #3, or Finale
- In order to participate in the YTDS Finale, for Ontario athletes only, all riders must have participated in at least 1 Youth Track Development Event (either #1, #2, or #3).
- Registration for each YTDS and Finale will close on the Tuesday at 12:00pm noon prior to the event date.
- Riders must participate in all races at each YTDS event. If a rider unnecessarily withdraws from one race, they may not be allowed to continue racing for the remainder of the day.
All riders must be Youth Track Certified through the National Cycling Institute Milton (NCIM).
Athletes who have raced at NCIM/FCV-sanctioned race nights should consult with their coach to determine the category that best suits their abilities. The onus will be on the athlete’s coach to make this determination.
Any athlete that does not have a coach but has raced NCIM/FCV races should contact OC to determine their race category.
Assessments of track competencies include:
- Ability to ride safely and confidently in a pack
- Ability to move up and down the track (ie. Above the blue line)
- Exhibits spatial awareness (ie. Shoulder checks)
YTDS are run using ability-based categories. The ability-based format allows athletes to self-seed from Categories A to E, based on their ability and experience level, not gender and age. The ability-based format is designed to provide meaningful competition for all riders and to help ensure appropriate participation numbers for quality racing.
YTDS #1 features the 500m time trial, which will be used to verify the categories of the riders. Adjustments may be made to rider placements after the first bunch race if there are any discrepancies.