Ontario Cycling (OC) is doing a call out for our first Athlete Council which will be chaired by our newly elected Athlete Representative. The Council will act as an informed advisor to the OC Board and OC Senior Management on the delivery of the OC Strategic Plan as it pertains to Athletes. The Athlete Council may conduct a formal review of OC’s programs, make recommendations regarding those programs, advice on policy brought forward by the Board, bring concerns to the attention of OC Senior Management and the OC Board and act as an advisory resource to OC’s staff on operational matters.
The Council reports to the OC Senior Management and OC Board and does not have independent decision-making authority.
The Athlete Representative will be the liaison to the Board and Senior Staff Management for the Council and will present their concerns, suggestions, and the annual report to the board.
The Athlete Council will:
- Develop channels of communication between the Council, the OC Management Team, and the OC Board
- Advise Athletes on policy changes put forward by the OC Senior Management & Board
- Bring cycling Athletes’ concerns to the attention of the OC Senior Management & Board
- Ask cycling Athletes what their concerns/opinions are on topics such as inclusion, safe sport, events, programming, and any other topic Athletes may have concerns with.
- Present an annual report to the Members at the OC Annual Meeting.
- Develop and formalize means of obtaining and utilizing feedback to inform council members’ opinions and position on issues.
The Athlete Council will consist of no less than 7 and no more than 9 members. To apply for a position on the Council, candidates must:
- Be a registered member in good standing with Ontario Cycling at the time of their application.
- Be 18 years of age or older (U23 and up).
- Have competed in Ontario Cycling Provincials and/or at the National Level with at least one podium finish.
- Athlete Community Representative must be active at the Club Level and/or have competed in Ontario Cups
Members of the Committee should bring a competitive perspective from one or more of the following areas in Cycling:
- Mountain Bike
- Para (Track and/or Road)
The form will be open until Sunday, August 13th, 2023 at 11:59pm.
Questions or comments regarding the Athlete Council can be directed to OC’s Athlete Representative, Siobhan Kelly.